Can you challenge your history brains and take part in our World War II quiz?!?!
I have attached some facts to help you.....
- World War II lasted from 1939 to 1945.
- World War II began when German troops invaded Poland on 1 September 1939.
- The UK declared war on Germany on 3 September 1939. It was announced by Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain.
- While many countries were involved in the war, they each took sides – either with the Allies, or the Axis.
- The main Axis countries were Germany, Italy and Japan.
- The main Allied countries were Great Britain, the United States, France and the Soviet Union (Russia).
- British Prime Ministers during World War II were Neville Chamberlain until 1940, then Winston Churchill.
- The Battle of Britain, between the German Luftwaffe and the Royal Air Force, was the first ever battle to be fought only in the air. It was made up of lots of air battles that lasted from 10 July to 31 October 1940.
- World War II ended in Europe on 8 May 1945 – this is also known as VE Day (Victory in Europe Day).
- World War II carried on for a few months after it ended in Europe, and officially ended when Japan formally surrendered to the Allies on 2 September 1945 (also called VJ Day).